Prospective Scholarship Applicant,
On behalf of the Virginia Airport Operators Council (VAOC), I would like to express my appreciation for your interest in the John R. Lillard VAOC Scholarship Program. The scholarship you are seeking is named for a friend, aviation enthusiast and great humanitarian. Through his leadership positions with the Capital Region Airport Commission (which operates Richmond International Airport), Chesterfield County Airport, and Eastern Airlines, John always displayed a zeal and thirst for life, aviation, family and friends. Because of his great spirit, we seek to share and commemorate his unique and special gifts with others. It is also through the kind and generous support of many of the members of the VAOC that this scholarship program is available to assist future aviation leaders as well as honor John. To this end, I am honored that you are contemplating applying for our 2017 scholarship award in the amount of $3,000.00.
In order for your application to be considered, you must be a Virginia high school senior, have at least a 3.5 unweighted GPA; be planning a career in the field of aviation, and must be enrolled or accepted into an aviation related program at an accredited college. It is also necessary for you to:
1. Download and complete the application at www.doav.virginia.gov.
2. Have your guidance counselor or other high school official sign all required certifications.
3. Attach an official copy of your current high school transcript and a copy of acceptance letters or other verification of enrollment or acceptance into a post-secondary institution.
4. Attach to the application a typed, double-spaced essay (350 word minimum/500 word maximum) on the subject: "Why I Wish to Pursue a Career in Aviation."
5. Attach recommendation letters (no more than three) and a typed (one-page maximum) sheet listing both school-related and extracurricular activities demonstrating accomplishments and leadership capabilities.
6. Mail all documents to: VAOC Scholarship, c/o Virginia Department of Aviation,Attn: Betty Wilson, 5702 Gulfstream Road, Richmond, VA 23250-2422.
The deadline for receipt of applications with all documentation is March 10, 2017.
Thank you again for your interest in the John R. Lillard Virginia Airport Operators Council Scholarship Program. Best wishes for continued success in your academic endeavors.