The Communications and Education Division is responsible for promoting Virginia's airports, marketing aviation and projecting a positive image of the Department and the air transportation system throughout the Commonwealth. Financial and technical assistance is also provided to Virginia's airports to help support their public relations, advertising and marketing programs. The Division develops market plans to increase aviation interests, writes press releases, produces publications and promotes aviation and Virginia's aviation programs through educational and aviation awareness programs, speaking engagements, briefing documents and trade shows.
- Manages the Department of Aviation Public Relations Program
- Directs comprehensive program promoting Virginia's air transportation system, aviation awareness, and economic benefits of airports.
- Directs aircraft licensing and public information programs.
Keith F. McCrea,
Air Service and Policy Manager
(804) 236-3630, ext. 63630
- Manages agency legislative, regulatory, and intergovernmental programs
- Serves as agency legislative liaison to the General Assembly
- Manages statewide commercial air service/cargo monitoring & research
- Executive Director of the Virginia SATSLab
- Manages economic development initiatives pertaining to aviation
- Serves on the VA State emergency/disaster response team
Aircraft Licensing Program Manager
(804) 774-4633, ext 44633
- Administers compliance with Virginia's aviation laws relating to aircraft licensing.
- Supervises and coordinates the aircraft licensing program.
- Assembles, evaluates and reports annual based aircraft data.
- Communicates program requirements to aircraft owners and airport operators.
(804) 774-4632, ext. 44632
- Serves as Executive Assistant to the Director.
- Provides administrative support to the Virginia Aviation Board and prepares meeting materials quarterly.
- Provides administrative and technical support to Communications and Education Division.
- Provides administrative support for the Aviation Promotion and Air Service Development grant-in-aid programs.
- Serves as a member of the Department’s Safety Team.
Public Relations Section:
Betty P. Wilson,
Public Relations Manager
(804) 225-3783, ext. 53783
- Promotes Virginia's airports, air transportation system, and tourism in the Commonwealth by developing a schedule of tradeshows, conferences, fly-ins and other events in which the Department of Aviation will participate and/or publicize.
- Plans, organizes, and administers agency programs and special events to promote aviation in the Commonwealth and educate the aviation community and general public.
- Develops and implements an aviation education program that enhances aviation awareness and incorporates STEM education and aviation workforce needs in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Administers grant-in-aid programs providing financial assistance to localities for promotion of airports and for air service development.
- Designs, implements, and maintains the agency electronic media program (web site).
- Develops, coordinates and oversees the production of agency publications including the state aeronautical chart and airport directory.
- Agency liaison to organizations in areas related to aviation awareness, education, training, and careers.
- Serves as agency FOIA coordinator.
Public Relations Specialist
(804) 774-4634, ext. 44634
- Coordinates the agency's external public relations activities -- organizes the agency's participation in national and international trade shows, fly-in and air shows, receptions, conferences and programs.
- Develops publications including the agency newsletter, press releases, brochures, etc.
- Coordinates social media sites and agency blog.
- Assists airport sponsors, aviation organizations and special interest groups in the development of public relations activities and annual events.
- Agency liaison to editors, reporters and publishers of aviation publications and reporters of aviation and transportation related issues.
- Assists aviation staff of the Economic Development Partnership in attracting aviation related businesses to the Commonwealth.
Customer Relations Specialist
(804) 774-4635, ext. 44635
- Supports aviation awareness, education, and scholarship programs.
- Supports the Virginia Aviation Conference
- Supports publication development.
- Conducts research, develops and administers surveys, and maintains databases.
- Customer liaison in areas relating to general information and material requests.
- Assists in web site maintenance.